Just consuming a tablespoon of coconut oil every day has been proven to be effective in improving your heart condition and in helping you lose weight.
In the past coconut oil was considered to be detrimental to one’s health by nutritionists who believed it’s saturated fatty acids was similar to that of margarine which is synthetic.
It has since been proven that thus natural source of saturated fatty acids is beneficial to our cognitive functional health.
There has been extensive research into the benefits of coconut oil to cardiovascular health as well as its weight loss stimulant potential.
The case study:
- It involved people between the ages of 55 and 69 years.
- 64% of these people were men.
- Every single subject was suffering from high blood pressure.
- 5% of the subjects had no blood lipid profile and this is indicative of dyslipidaemia.
- They were all on cholesterol lowering medications.
- In the first three months 136 subjects had a single standardised diet.
- After three months only 116 subjects scaled through. These subjects were then divided into two groups.
- The first group comprised of 22 subjects and they continued the standardised diet.
- The other group comprised of 94 subjects and they were fed daily with a slightly modified diet comprising of 13 ml of extra virgin coconut oil.
- Another three months passed and it was observed that those fed with 13 ml of coconut oil had a significant reduction in the following ;
1. Their weight – about 0.6 kilos or 1.300 pounds.
2. Their waist circumference – which was about 2.1 cm or 0.8 inch.
3. Their body-mass index (BMS) – about 0.2 per square meter.
4. Their neck perimeter – which was about 4 cm or 1.5 inches.
5. Their systolic blood pressure – about 3.3 points.
6. Their diastolic blood pressure – approximately about 3.5 points.
- It was also seen that their HDL cholesterol levels had increased.
- The scientists stated that for patients suffering from cardiovascular conditions such as coronary disease, the non-pharmacological control and intervention is paramount to the regulation and management of causative factors in its secondary prevention.
- The scientists also discovered that there was a rise in the HDL-C concentrations of subjects who are meals comprising of extra virgin coconut oil as well as a reduction in their waist line.
- This study is vital as it proves the efficacy of coconut oil in raising HDL cholesterol levels when compared to some commercial pharmaceutical products that actually don’t do this as effectively and are also harmful to one’s health.
- It was further discovered that patients who use statins to boost their extremely low HDL-C levels had no positive reaction from the use of the drug as compare with the use of coconut oil which significantly raised the patients HDL cholesterol levels with no side effects.
- It was also highlighted that cardiovascular conditions can be caused by abdominal obesity.
- A research done almost a decade ago stated that abdominal obesity was one of the main reasons behind heart attacks, ranking ahead of abnormal lipids and smoking. The findings of this study was published in the Circulation journal.
- It was concluded that for someone to avoid cardiovascular conditions he or she had to have a diet plan comprising of foods which will increase their HDL cholesterol levels naturally and will regulate their waist circumference and Body Mass Index.
Another sources linked in Healthy Food House’s article: