If you are looking for a stress-free form of exercise that you can do daily, then walking will be ideal for you.
You can lose as much as 20 pounds in just five months with only walking and nothing more.
It will also help you to tone up your muscles and you will live a healthier and fitter life when you engage in walking everyday.
Losing Weight By Walking
When you start walking for an hour and at a steady pace of 4 miles per hour you will burn as much as 400 calories.
While walking you can use a pedometer which is a device that helps to keep track of your speed and the number of miles you have walked per hour.
What Is The Number Of Steps You Should Take To Lose Weight?
If you walk just one mile you will burn as much as 100 calories, when you walk with your pedometer you will know how many miles you have walked and the number of calories you have burnt in the process.
Here is an estimate:
- One mile will give you 2,000 steps and you burn 100 calories
- One pound is approximately 3,500 calories
- When you lose one pound in a week it is equivalent to burning 500 calories everyday.
When walking you need to achieve about 10,000 steps everyday in order to lose one pound in seven days.
Here are some tips you can keep to heart when trying to achieve this milestone.
- Walk home from work or from home to work if the distance us not too far.
- You can park your vehicle half way and walk to your destination.
- Don’t use a bus or taxi, try walking to your destination.
- At work use a stairwell, do not take an elevator.
- Take your children to school by walking.
Always buy a top quality pedometer so that you get good and accurate readings devoid of errors.
Keeping Your Walking Exercise Exciting
- Try walking along a different route each time provided it’s safe.
- In winter rather than walking outdoors you can buy a treadmill.
- Walk with your spouse or friend.
Adopting The Right Walking Style
Make sure your eyes are fixed at about 100 feet in front of you, with your chin held up and your feet taken right in front of you. Make sure your glutes are squeezed, you should also tighten your abdominal muscles as well. By doing this you will fully optimise your walks.
So How Frequently Should I Walk?
You should make walking a daily regimen and you will lose weight in no time. Try walking for a minimum of 20 minutes initially and you should steadily increase this time as you walk often to about 60 minutes daily.
Try and ensure that you have a good diet as well and maintain a healthy lifestyle devoid of smoking and excessive alcohol intake.