This herb, called Giant hogweed has beautiful flower and grows up to 5 meters in high. But, it is extremely toxic and if eve comes in touch with your eye it will bring you blindness which usually cannot be cured. If you touch it on the other hand, it will bring you redness and itching to your skin. Bubbles will start showing up as form of burns within 48 hours. They form black and purple scars that may last for several years.
As worst, this plant is difficult for destruction so this is why it needs to be avoided. This plant is widespread in Britain, in northeast and northwest America, Central and Eastern Canada and also can be found in Germany, France and Belgium.
Giant hogweed is phototoxic plant
Its juice can cause fotodermatitis, which is severe inflammation of the skin when the skin is exposed to sun or UV- radiation. The presence of small amount of its herbal juice in the eyes can cause temporary or even permanent blindness.
In Germany, there were present 16,000 deaths in 2003. Children should stay away from this plant. Protection clothes, including eye protection should be worn while drilling this plant. If the skin is exposed, the affected area should be washed with soup and water and the exposed skin should be protected from the sun for a few days.
Giant hogweed can be suppressed with:
- Chopping the flowers
- Rearranging land
- Grazing because the pigs and cattle can consume from this plant without any side effects.
If the skin comes into contact with this toxin you should act quickly to protect yourself from sunlight for a few days and wash yourself with antibacterial soap and cold water plus, you need to go and see doctor.